Got a Granny Flat? Here’s All the Legal Stuff You Should Know

September 27, 2021
cosy bedroom in granny flat or tiny home

Older Australians have a number of options for accommodation when they no longer wish or are no longer able to live in the family home. Those options include downsizing, independent living in a retirement village or, if assessed, residential aged care.

However, another alternative that many Australian families are considering is seniors living with the family in independent accommodation in what is commonly referred to as a granny flat. While other accommodation options all require documentation, many times people take up the granny flat option without documenting what has been agreed between the family members. This can be at a detriment to the family, as seniors on a pension can create unintended consequences by not entering into legal granny flat agreement.

There are many reasons why arrangements made for accommodation must be documented and the document should be reviewed and amended, if and when circumstances change.

For example, you may live in accommodation with your children or vice versa and have “a granny flat agreement” in place but due to a change of location ie the property is sold and another bought, the agreement should be updated to reflect a change of address and any other changes outlined in the original agreement.

The recent Commonwealth budget has also emphasised the importance of a written agreement. Depending on the circumstances these arrangements could lead to a Capital Gains Tax (CGT) liability on the sale of the property.

doorway entrance of tiny home or granny flat

The recent 2020-21 Federal Budget has clarified that there will be no CGT where the arrangement is created or varied or terminated where there is a formal written agreement in place. The arrangements will apply to older Australians and those with a disability. The government estimates this could be as many as 3.9 million pensioners and 4 million Australians with a disability.

The CGT exemption will only apply because the relationship is one characterised as being “family relationships or other personal ties”. It does not apply where accommodation is provided for a commercial rent. The legislation for the exemption is yet to pass Parliament and would commence on 1 July 2021.

If you have a granny flat arrangement in place or are considering that option, or are caring for a senior family member please talk to one of the lawyers at Owen Hodge Lawyers’ Elder Law team for advice. If you have any questions about Granny Flat agreements, or anything else regarding Elder Law, don’t hesitate to contact Owen Hodge Lawyers on 1800 770 780.

department. Browse our search page to check out some amazing listings available right now. But don’t just stop there, download our app to get the full Soho experience. Just remember to shortlist or swipe left on our listings so we can send you others that better match what you’re looking for.

Owen Hodge Lawyers
Owen Hodge Lawyers is a top tier law firm Sydney residents rely on. We commenced providing legal services to the St George and Sutherland communities in 1951. Since then our Sydney Law Firm has grown considerably, developing a reputation for quality legal services, value for money and a strong commitment.
Share this article
Want the latest real estate news in your inbox?
Just let us know your email and we will do the rest

Let us Find your next Dream Home

Our AI will create a personalised list of property matches for you to rank from over 100,000 available listings

Let us Find your next Dream Home

Our AI will create a personalised list of property matches for you to rank from over 100,000 available listings