If you’re like most Australians, you’ll agree that floor tiles are one of the best features of a home. They look great, but they’re also easy to clean and keep in good condition. So, if you want to paint floor tiles by yourself this time, you may be wondering how exactly to do it.
In this blog, we’ll take a closer look at whether or not painting floor tiles is a viable option and provide some tips on how to paint floor tiles if you decide to give it a try. So read to get all the necessary information you need.
- 20 Amazing Interior Design Blogs You Need to Follow
- 7 Small Space Living Ideas from Interior Designers
- 6 Easy Home Decor Tips From an Interior Designer
What are the advantages of painting tiles?
One of the most significant advantages of painting floor tiles is that it can completely change the look of a room. If you’re tired of your current tile colour or pattern, a new coat of paint can give your floors a whole new lease on life.
Painting tiles is also a great way to cover up any chips or cracks that may be present. And if you’re looking to sell your home, a fresh coat of paint can make tiles look brand new and help increase their value.
What could be the disadvantages if you go for floor tile paint?
While there are some clear benefits if you choose to paint floor tiles, the process also has drawbacks. The process can be time-consuming, particularly if you have a large area to cover. And while painting can help conceal any already present damage, it won’t fix the problem.
So, if your tiles are in poor condition, they’ll likely continue to deteriorate even after being painted. Additionally, paint can eventually chip and peel, meaning you’ll need to repaint every few years to keep your floors looking their best.
Which tiles can you paint?
Generally speaking, most floor tiles can be painted – including ceramic, porcelain, and terracotta. However, there are a few exceptions. For example, natural stone tiles such as granite or marble shouldn’t be painted, as the paint may not adhere properly and could damage the surface.
Similarly, any tile with a glazed or glossy finish shouldn’t be painted, as the colour is likely to peel off soon after being applied.
If you’re not sure whether your tiles are suitable for painting, it’s always best to check with the manufacturer or a professional tile specialist before proceeding.
Is painting bathroom tiles a good idea?
One of the most common questions you might ask is whether painting floor tiles in the bathroom is suitable. The answer depends on your circumstances.
If you’re looking to change the colour of your bathroom tiles, then painting is an option. Just be sure to use high-quality waterproof paint explicitly designed for bathrooms.
However, if your tiles are in poor condition and you’re hoping painting will help cover up any damage, likely, painting won’t be enough. In this case, it may be best to replace the tiles entirely.
How to paint floor tiles?
If you’ve decided that painting your floor tiles is the right option for you, there are a few things to keep in mind before getting started. It’s essential to choose a high-quality primer and paint specifically designed for use on ceramic surfaces. This will ensure good adhesion and help your paint job last longer.
Getting the perfect paint for your floor tiles
To paint floor tiles, you can use these paints with high life and get the best results:
- Chalk paint is a popular option for painting floor tiles as it provides good coverage and adhesion. It’s also easy to apply, making it a good choice if you’re not confident in your painting skills. However, chalk paint can be prone to chipping and peeling, so it’s essential to prepare your surface properly and apply a sealer after painting.
- Latex paint is another option for painting tiles. It’s more durable than chalk paint and less likely to chip or peel, but it can be more challenging to apply evenly. Latex paint is also a good choice if you want to achieve a high-gloss finish.
- Oil-based paint is an option used by several people to paint floor tiles. It’s more durable than latex paint and provides a beautiful glossy finish. However, it can be challenging to apply evenly and yellow over time.
How to paint floor tiles on your own
Once you’ve chosen the right paint for your project, it’s time to get started. Here’s a quick overview of how to paint floor tiles:
1. Start by thoroughly cleaning your tiles with a mild detergent and allowing them to dry completely.
2. Next, sand your tiles with fine-grit sandpaper to rough up the surface and help the paint adhere better. Be sure to vacuum up any dust afterwards.
3. Apply a primer designed for use on ceramic surfaces. This will help the paint adhere better and provide a more even finish.
4. Once the primer is dry, start painting your tiles with a brush or roller. Be sure to work in small sections and follow the manufacturer’s instructions for the best results.
5. It would be best to allow the paint to dry completely before applying a sealer. This will help protect your paint job and make it more durable.
Note: When painting, always work in small sections to avoid getting yourself into a corner to paint floor tiles. And, be sure to paint in a well-ventilated area.
With these tips in mind, painting floor tiles is relatively straightforward. Just be sure to take your time, and you will get some exceptionally painted floor tiles.
Like what you’re reading?
Keep yourself updated with valuable tips like these by downloading our app for the whole Soho experience. We are here to aid you to find your dream home, save for it, decorate it, and redecorate it! So don’t forget to swipe on your property matches so we can get you there faster.