Whether you’re hunting for real estate in Sydney or buying property at auction in Melbourne, the bathroom is one of the most important rooms to update when renovating your home. There are a lot of factors to consider when budgeting for this project. Keep reading for tips on how to get your bathroom renovation done on a budget without compromising quality or style.
The Cost of Bathroom Renovations
Bathroom renovations can range from a few thousand dollars for a basic makeover to more than $30,000 for a structural renovation or luxury upgrades. According to industry data, the average bathroom renovation cost in Sydney is $19,553. This figure includes the cost of materials and labour, so it’s a good idea to get a separate estimate for each of these things before starting your project.
Basic bathroom makeovers typically cost between $5,000 to $15,000. These renovations include minor changes like paint, fixtures, and flooring. If you’re looking to do more extensive work, such as re-tiling the tub or shower or adding new cabinetry, you can expect to pay closer to $15,000 to $30,000. For structural renovations or luxury upgrades such as radiant floor heating or a freestanding bathtub, you should budget for $30,000 or more.
No matter what type of renovation you’re planning, it’s important to get multiple quotes from different contractors before you start your project.
Factors Affecting the Cost
A few factors will affect the cost of your renovation. These include:
- The size of your bathroom—the size of your bathroom will obviously impact the overall cost of your renovation—a small bathroom costs less to renovate than a large one.
- The number of changes—the more changes you make to your existing bathroom, the higher your costs will be. If you’re planning a complete gut job, expect to pay more than if you’re making a few changes here and there.
- The type of materials—your materials will affect your bottom line. Luxury materials like marble or granite will cost more than more budget-friendly options like laminate or tile.
- The cost of labour—the cost of labour is another crucial factor to consider when budgeting for your bathroom renovation. If you plan to do the work yourself, your costs will be lower, but if you hire a professional, you can expect to pay anywhere from $50 to $100 per hour for their services.
Individual Bathroom Renovation Components
If you’re the type who’d rather complete your project yourself, below are the costs of individual components common in bathroom renovation. These prices are based on the Sydney market and may vary depending on your location.
- Tiles: $60 per square metre
- Bathtubs: $1,300
- Toilets: $150 to $750
- Vanities: $500 to $1,200
- Mirrors: $50 to $250
- Basins: $150 to $800
- Tapware: $50 to $1,000
- Showerheads: $50 to $300
- Lighting: $9 and up
- Towel Racks: $30 and up
As you can see, there is a wide range of costs associated with bathroom renovations. When budgeting for your project, don’t forget to factor in the cost of permits and other fees. Depending on the scope of work, you may need to go to your local council to obtain a permit which can cost anywhere from $100 to $500.
You should also expect to pay a fee for rubbish removal, depending on how much waste is generated by your renovation.
The cost for a bathroom renovation can range from $5,000 to more than $30,000, but there are a lot of variables that affect the final number. Getting multiple quotes from different contractors before starting the project is essential to finding the best deal.
If you’re still looking for the perfect home and trying to find the amenities that are important to you, check out our post about dog-friendly parks in Sydney.